Friday, October 16, 2009

Over and Elt


See that's yer Gately brown bread then. Frankly I prefer 'massive nyron, ketemine and gay shennanigans binge' type deaths than the 'natural causes, could have happened to anyone' style check outs. I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but I've been wondering what folks in the media have been saying behind closed doors, as rather than the 'sweet, purest soul' stuff that folk have been punting out, he was actually known as a bit of a diva-strop-chucking Elton John junior. I wasn't surprised to hear Reg was a big mate.

I'll dust this one off to highlight my point, some of ya will know this one: When I went to interview him back in my early days (when he was launching the "I'm gonna do a Robbie" solo career) I was told to tread careful as he was well known as a bit of a diva and for giving journos short shrift. We're batting the usual shite questions and answers back and forth until halfway through the interview (at a suite in Selfridge's Hotel) the batteries in the tape recorder die. I try to laugh it off and say don't worry, I'll remember everything and write it up from memory back at the office. He looks at me like I've just shit in his bath, and I quickly grab a pen and paper from my bag and pretend I was joking. His mask slipped a bit and I certainly got the feeling that if I had taken any longer to put my brain in gear I'd have been on the receiving end of something quite flappy and wonderful.

You know when you're interviewing folk that they're giving you their best smarmy bullshit (apart from Ian Brown of course, me and him definitely connected), but they don't normally confirm it, and weirdly enough the only other time it ever happened was with Just Jack, who was another big mate of Elt, and it was in fact big Reg who got the annoying tit his record deal. Maybe he gives them a bit of media coaching whilst showing them round his bedroom...

Just seen this – you can always count on the Daily Facist when it's an iron or an immigrant can't ya? Not that it ain't a wee bit suss... but still, outragous.

No comments: