Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Favourtie overseas city?


What's your favourite overseas city? Mine's New York. The Guardian and Observer 2009 travel awards have come out and Sydney's been voted the favourite overseas city.

Fair enough, it's a grand place and could conceivably knock New York into third spot (behind Cape Town in second? I've never been), but then you have a goosey at the other categories and it starts to tell a more-middle-class-than-me story: Favourite European country? Switzerland. Beats off challenges from Norway, Austria and Sweden.

Right enough eh?! I'm sure if I'd ever been I wouldn't be able get enough of those gaffs meself, but even if I ate more humous than I do now and went to the theatre a lot I'd probably still stick Spain in there somewhere ("the Adalucian mountains are simply devine in the late summer darling, which is when I have been there with my partner. I have also been to the Iberian Peninsula in the spring, but that was when I was getting fucked on a stag do in Magaluf. Marvellous.")

It's like they took the survey during a parent's evening at private school, and you had to shout out your answer in front of all the other parents. Chile as one of the favourite long-haul destinations? I've been bored with Chile for years, sold the cottage in Santiago way back in 2007. Completely overdeveloped now. If you must stay in South America, it's all about Paraguay these days.

Seriously though, what's yer favourite UK city? Mine's London, but I'm guessing that's where half the voters live so they're not considering it as a travel destination. If I still lived in London it'd probably be Brighton or Manchester, but I've never been to Newcastle which is meant to be alright, and I've only ever been to Glasgow once, when I was ten (I bought Ghosts 'n' Goblins on cassette for my Commodore 64, it was the game Todd in Neighbours was addicted to at the time). Liverpool's good too. Edinburgh is good for a mini-break, but the weather is always, always, absolute shite. Anyone been to Bristol? What about favourite European city? It's definitely Barcelona for me.

No comments: