Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hot 100


Australia day (Jan 26th) is the day for announcing the previous year's hottest 100 tunes on Triple J. This year was yet another example that as I age I drift further from the coal face of new music, which is quite a weird feeling when I used to be a bit of a miner back in the day, bopping around London town interviewing the latest hip cats and checking out their groovy vibes live.

Mumford And Sons were number one, with Little Lion Man. I've heard the song, but (get this...) only because I read about them as 'ones to watch' in Q Magazine! Q are always about three months late with that sort of caper and in my previous life as the digital teenage girls' Everett True I used to snort with derision at these old farts with their paper and printing.

The full list is here and once I'd gone through the top twenty and realised I only knew six of them I decided to stop there to save myself further pain.

I'm going with the 'Aussie music is generally shit' defence, which on the evidence of Adelaide's aweful, ageing hip hop rap singers the Hilltop Hoods at number three, is a defence that's not without legs.

But I have to admit I'm not totally without blame - as is brought into stark relief when you're being told by your mates twelve thousand miles away to check out a swinging bunch of new dudes who are from the country you live in (The Temper Trap).

It's probably not something that would have happened when I was the internet's answer to a late-70s Tony Parsons: getting pally with McFly, chummy with Busted, and once almost being offered out by Cheryl Cole. Good times.

No comments: