Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Villan of the piece


It was a pleasure and an honour to spend the evening with my old championship-winning cricket partner last Thursday night, the tanned and relaxed Mister Jim Smith happy to recall our victory at the south London Dan Brown invitational tournament of 2007. After a bit of dinner and a few beers there were only so many wonderful tales of laid back travelling life I could take, so as a former CIT champ I laid down the gauntlet to the current holder, confident that an old skool purist like myself had what it takes to overcome this new 'pub iron man' pretender.

In the back room of the Green Park Hotel I had what can only be called a very jammy run, with speculative hit-n-hopes generally finding a pocket. Apparently this was something close to the lucky streak that Jim had on that fateful night back in December, though having now seen him wield a cue I think that's more an example of his well-known modesty than anything else. Heard of the Unofficial Football World Championships? I'll say no more other than I'm happy to host recognised CIT entrants in my home town if they fancy taking me on…

No comments: